Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Countdown to Mabon

Aahhh, Mabon. My time of the year.

A time for deep reflection. A time for rememberance for those who have passed. That in turn makes me more aware of what life has to offer...in the time of Mabon.

                        
                                         The Apple Gatherers by Frederick Morgan
The simple ways I look forward to spending Mabon will be with apple picking this year, for myself, my husband and son and anyone else I can tow along. On my menu of apple goodies, I will of course make an apple pie (or 3), apple cinnamon bread, caramel glazed apple cake (with Granny Smiths), an Apple Brown Betty, an Apple Charlotte and simple baked apples. Hm. That sounds quite ambitious. Well, we'll see how much energy I have :)

As always, there is the fabulous fall foliage. This picture above is not of my local area. This is the very blessed New England area. Blessed, as far as this nature lover is concerned, for having some of the countries most beautiful and stunning foliage, one that I plan to visit soon.

Aaaahhh, then of course there is the food, the feasting, the family gatherings. Raised by non-practicing Christian parents, we did not celebrate Mabon and the like. We did the usual Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. which I still celebrate today, although I celebrate in the pre-Christian traditions of Mabon, Samhain, Yule, etc. needless to say, this goes unbeknownst to my family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles). As many American pagans, we celebrate Thanksgiving, as it isn't a religious holiday but one of coming together and giving thanks and is high on my list of favorite Mabon celebrations...mainly for the food and family visits!

by Pierre Auguste
Now, being born and raised in Southern California, people are shocked to hear that I don't care for abundant, never-ending sunshine. I do love the beauty of a sunny day but like anything else, I like it in doses. Also, now living in the Southern California mountains, we have a whopping average annual of 310 days of sunshine! I'm one of those few, rare and perceived strange, Southern California natives that loves rain. I love rain, cloudy days, stormy and windy days (the darker and windier, the better!), occasional fog...and snow is always fun ;) But to get caught in a rainstorm, I'd like nothing better.
                                   
                                                            Seven Little Princes by Will Moses
Then, there's Samhain. My absolute favorite holiday of the year. No, it's not a recognized national holiday, but it is, nevertheless, for me and many fellow Pagans. I do not participate in group activities but am a solitary worker. I have my own quiet plans this year but for my family, I plan on a special dinner menu, my son's trick-or-treating, as usual, then home to a candle-lit house where we can feast on breads or pies and as always watch the Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride and any other Tim Burton fantasy that my husband will bring home. Later in the evening, I will find my quiet spot and celebrate quietly.

There is so much to do and to look forward to in every season but I'm counting down to Mabon's Magic. A favorite by Humbert Wolfe:

"Listen! The wind is rising and
the air is wild with leaves.
We have had our summer evenings,
now for October eves!"

Apple recipes to come...Blessings Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you so much for visiting my blog....I love meeting new friends via blogland! This is my favorite time of year....and feeling the cool evening air out there right now is so wonderful! Next comes all of my other favorites.....the smells, colors, crunching leaves, fires, warm comfort food.....aaaaahhhhhh......

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much in common, so much :) Happy to meet you, Celia and thank you for following a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - you have finally let the sleeping dragon out of her cage then. Not before time. Its important that you follow your own path and be in tune with your thoughts actions and feelings. It is symbiotic of who you are. It is also an affirmation of who you are what has happened to you and completes the bigger picture and continuity of your soul. Your "spiratuality" will come in drifts and waves; the more you do the stronger it will get.

    Much is afoot many people are feeling disconnected you need to root yourself down firmly so that when the strong wind comes you will hold firm. You have much work to do, a lot of which you will not understand at first. Just follow your heart and your instincts. All that we do is just a minute part of a much bigger picture but important all the same. Music is good for help with manifestation.Ask for help from your guides along the way. Do not be afraid to ask for help - it is not being selfish - everyone needs help now and then. the work also comes out in different forms different followings different practices but essentially they all follow a common theme. Work must only be done for good and never used in anger.

    Drumming is good for manifestation it is rythmic and soothes the soul but also helps tune you in as it resonates through the whole of the vessel rather than just part.

    I was a hedgewitch wise woman in several past lives, I am aware of four manifestations one in France at the time of the Cathars and one down in Cornwall near Boscastle (there is a witches museum there which is very interesting) I feel as though this is my spiratual home. My use and love of herbs has stayed with me through all manifestations, one in Somerset and one down in Hertfordshire; the last two are patchy still - information is still coming out in dribs and drabs. But my mentor and guide my teacher puts in appearances from time to time.

    You are you dear friend and people love you for yourself.

    "happy blessings"

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete