Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rainy Southern California

I looooove rainy days. Although, being in Southern California, I can feel the waves of misery from all of those sun-lovin' folks that flock here to live in our sunshine. What's my story then? Why am I here? Well, I believe I'm one of those rare creatures that are called 'California Natives'. I was born here and although I love my Southern California and my good 'ol U.S. of A., I don't feel I've ever really belonged. My original blog (still up and running) is appropriately titled 'Elizabeth Rhiannon is...Misplaced in SoCal'. My story is...since the age of about 11 or 12 I began my obsession with England. Not in the way of 'fairytale, storybook land' or 'cute, little cobblestone streets with quaint teahouses' and 'aren't their accents adorable?'...more in a way of, I knew that's where I belonged. The simple things like beans on toast, rainy days, car boot sales, ancient history and my love of Brit music and Brit comedy among a million other little and not-so-little things. Not to mention Celtic Paganism that has always spoken to me. So, as I sit here, warm and snug in my cottage in the sky, I do what I do every rainy, blustery day, as I've done since childhood-I look outside and watch the rain and the beautiful dark clouds and dream of being in a different place...a place I belong.
~Rhiannon
(the photo above is mine, taken from our hotel room at the Grafton House. View of Durham Cathedral, Durham, England)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rhiannon,
    I saw your blog yesterday and had to come back to get another look at your gorgeous photos. The vignettes are beautiful. Do you have any favourite sites for interior decorating, or any you know of in your style? Your home exudes warmth and calm. I am very envious of your knack for putting things together. Like you my beliefs are quietly held, but I love the fact that your home reveals them, subtly...in a way that you'd only recognise the signs if you shared in them. Inspiring!
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathalie! I have to say, what a beautiful name you have :) and a big thank you for your much appreciated compliments. I don't really have any interior decorating sites I visit, mostly just catalogue sites like Williams-Sonoma and Ballard Designs and magazines like Country Living, Veranda and Architectural Digest. Funny, none of their styles really look like my own house but they are styles I love and would love to copy! :) Thank you again, for your compliments and comment! Wishing you a beautiful autumn! ~Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I haven't heard of Williams-sonoma and Ballard designs, but am off to google them. I look forward to more of your photos too!

    ReplyDelete